Four days before our son Ian was to have his first birthday, we were confronted with his diagnosis of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
Without delay, he was scheduled for surgery to place a Hickman central line catheter and begin his treatment regimen. While still in shock from our son’s diagnosis, we now had the responsibility of learning how to maintain and protect the delicate central line attached to his body.
This was further compounded by our son’s young age and early mobility. Immediately we discovered some of the many challenges living with a central line device…
- How to best contain the device when not being used, without causing discomfort or irritation to the wearer?
- How to minimize device exposure to potential contaminants?
- How to prevent the device from being tugged or pulled accidentally?
- How to protect the device from being damaged?
- How to provide easy and consistent access to the device for caregivers during use, without needing to disturb the wearer?
- How to prevent line tangles or crimps during sleep while connected to medications?
- How to easily change clothes safely while connected to medications?
We ultimately realized that current methods for managing life with a central line came down to usage of surgical tape and safety pins.
There had to be a better way…right? It is said that necessity is the mother of invention, and we had our work cut out for us.
The Comfort Line garment started out as a way to help us manage our son’s central line device and address the challenges mentioned. It became clear that what had evolved out of our necessity could greatly benefit others living with a central line.
During our stays at the hospital many nurses and doctors complimented us on the “ingenious” simplicity of the garments functionality. With many helpful suggestions and accolades from medical professionals, we set out to apply all we had learned into a formal garment design.
Our mission is to provide comfortable, functional and protective apparel for assisting anyone living with a central line device. Comfort Line apparel is sensitive to both the needs of individuals and medical providers dealing with central line safety.
There is NOTHING a parent or loved one can do to prepare for this type of circumstance. Most of us know little about the many treatments which require having a central line, until we have been placed in that situation.
We have learned through our experience, and hope to share the benefits of wearing a Comfort Line garment.
Our infinite Thanks, Gratitude and Love to everyone who stayed by our side during this journey.